The Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW) are holding an event which will debate the motion of 'this house believes that a vibrant East Anglia needs full economic devolution'. As this is a contentious topic, the proceedings will be chaired by Lord Norman Lamont, former Chancellor of the Exchequer, who will host the debate and act as speaker of the house.
Confirmed speakers so far:
- James Palmer - Mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough
- Lord Karan Bilimoria - Founder of Cobra Beer, member of the House of Lords and CBI Vice President
- Iain Wright - Director of Business and Industrial Strategy at the ICAEW
- Doug Field - Chair of the New Anglia LEP
For more information, and to register, please follow this link
5th Money Laundering Directive - summary of changes
The EU's 5th Money Laundering Directive came into force this week. The Legal Sector Affinity Group, which includes the Law Society and all the other legal sector supervisors names in the anti-money laundering regulations, has published a summary of changes to the regulations to help firm comply with the new requirements.
Handling complaints practice note updated
The SRA Standards and Regulations 2019 replaced the SRA Handbook (2011) from 25 November 2019. Our updated practice note is relevant to all law firms and sole practitioners authorised by the SRA. It is also relevant to individual solicitors, RELs and RFLs, wherever they practise.
> Read more
> See all our updated practice notes
Law Society events
As we kick off the new year, save the dates in your diary for some of the events we have planned in the first few months of 2020.
> Read more
SRA Corporate Strategy 2020-2023 consultation - closing date for responses 23 January 2020 - Link to consultation
The SRA is seeking views on its new Corporate Strategy which sets out SRA priorities for the period from 2020 to 2023. The three key areas cited are:
- “Embedding high standards for ourselves and the profession: implementing, evaluating and evolving our reforms and regulatory model.
- Technology and innovation: supporting the development and adoption of technology and other innovation so that opportunities and new ideas can flourish.
- Anticipating and responding to change: building our understanding of emerging opportunities and challenges so we can effectively respond to them.”
The consultation also promises to embed an ongoing commitment to promoting access to justice across all work. Policy Advisors- Marzena.Lipman@lawsociety.org.uk
If you have any questions in relation to any of the above, please do not hesitate to contact us at London&SouthEastTeam@lawsociety.org.uk
Beth, Bhavni and Stuart.